Cerro Almagro eco-neighbourhood
Project: Development Plan and Eco-Neighbourhood in Cerro Almagro
Team: Joaquín Aramburu Maqua, Antonio Aramburu Gimeno, Mar Herrera, Clara Aramburu Mendiguren, Jose Luis Gómez de Tomás
An “Advanced Green City” is how we name the residential design for Cerro Almagro and it was based on two basic priorities:
- Try to solve the housing problem in Jaen, from a public quality intervention.
- Implement a Sustainable Planning and Bioclimatic Architecture intervention that could generate a demonstration effect on Jaen and Andalucia’s population.
This proposal aims to find the maximum quality of urban infrastructures, public services and areas. It will apply those systems and technologies focused on reducing the eco-footprint and most part of the residential area will be destined for state subsidized dwellings.
This commitment to responsible urban planning is based on some very clear principles to find environmental, social and economic sustainability and it aims to solve the city and the population’s real problems.
The design focuses on an environmentally sustainable city that aims to reduce its eco-footprint by:
- A correct insertion of the proposal, considering the existing topography and avoiding, when possible, earthworks.
- Design of a separate sewerage network with a rainwater harvesting system for drip irrigation.
- Design of a citizen information and education centre.
- An eco-footprint Control and Monitoring system.
- Large presence of nature in the proposal with a 19% of green areas in a continuous network. The “fifth façade” will be treated as a green area (rooftop farming in housing).
- Optimal building orientation and disposal, in order to ensure natural lighting and ventilation in all the dwellings.
- Use of local materials both in the construction of the buildings and the urbanization.
- Plantation of indigenous trees or adapted species that require low maintenance and irrigation.
- Waste recycling areas in all the residential streets.
- A District Heating and Cooling service, achieving greater performance and therefore, a lower emission of greenhouse gases.
- Building Energy Rating